Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mommy Evelyn's 65th birthday photo session

I've been doing quite a number of portrait sessions the past couple of weeks and I can't wait to share the photos here on the blog. Shooting portraits is one of my favorite things to do as a photographer, and it makes me happy that more and more people are getting interested in my style of portraiture.

I did Jap's maternity session at the start of this year.  A few months later, she contacted me again and asked me to photograph her family on her mom's 65th birthday.

It was a stormy day in June when we did the pictorial at the Sofitel.  I texted Jap earlier that day to ask if she wanted to postpone the pictorial due to the bad weather. She told me they wanted to go through with it no matter what. She later told me they couldn't postpone it anymore because they had the whole evening planned for her mom. Although her mom knew they were going to have their photos taken at the hotel that day, Jap and her siblings had a some other surprises prepared.

Because of the storm, it was so dark outside and there was virtually no window light that I could use during the shoot.  I had to use off-camera flash (which I don't usually like to use, because I prefer natural light) and make use of the lamps in the hotel room.  The portraits we got were a bit different from those that I usually do, but I loved them anyway. And I was glad to hear that Jap's mom loved them too.:)

Aside from Jap and her mom, Jap's sister and nephew also joined us for the pictorial. Also present was the newest member of the family--Baby Jeanne.:)


Here's Jap with her lovely baby.





For a few minutes, the skies cleared up a bit, and there was enough natural light coming in through the windows.  Here's a photo of Jap's sister and nephew.


I love this shot. It looks sunny.:)


Here's Mommy Evelyn. The star of the day.


And then it got very dark again.


I had to use the lamps in the room for the following shots.


One of my favorites from that session.  It reminds me of one of those vintage studio portraits.:)





Jap's hubby Loelle had to go back home for something and he got back to the hotel only towards the end of the session.  I loooove these next two.



Drama!:D Love Jap's black dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails